Goals: Writing Across the Curriculum
Cairo skyline and mosque:
1. Describe three things you notice about Cairo in this photograph.
For example, for question #1 and #2 on the image of Cairo you might write: "crowded apartments"; "big and flat"; "mosque"; "a little smoggy"; "modern", "buses and cars"
2. Using evidence from the photograph, suggest one way that living in Cairo might be similar to living in Oakland. Suggest one way it might be different.
For example: "In this photograph Cairo is a large city with densely
packed apartment houses. The most prominent building in the neighborhood is
a mosque. There are cars and buses in the streets."
Anti-terrorism sign outside Syrian factory (This photograph was taken outside a Syrian tire factory by an American traveler.)
1. Using evidence from the photograph, suggest two things you call speculate about the banner's authors?
2. Using evidence from the photograph, what are two things
you can say about the banner's intended audience?
Palestinian children (This photograph was taken by an American college student visiting the Middle East.)
1. Using evidence from the photograph, what are two things you can say about childhood in Palestine?
2. Describe two reasons why you think the photographer took this
Michele Delattre, ORIAS