What is ORIAS?
The Office of Resources for International and Area Studies (ORIAS) exists to help k-12 and community college teachers improve their understanding of global issues and incorporate World History topics into their courses.
ORIAS is a joint program of the six Title VI National Resource Centers at UC Berkeley. We work to connect teachers and districts with the rich scholarly resources at UC Berkeley and around the Bay Area.
- free accredited summer workshops on international humanities and world history topics.
- teacher reading groups in San Francisco and the East Bay.
- newsletter updates covering resources, local events, and travel opportunities of interest to educators.
- an online calendar highlighting local educational and cultural events.
- one-on-one assistance finding curricular resources and locating classroom speakers.
- curated online resources and professional travel opportunities.
Programs and materials are designed to meet the challenge of creating a globally informed student body while addressing the state standards for world history and the needs of California's diverse population.
National Resource Centers at UC Berkeley
ORIAS programs are funded through federal grants to UC Berkeley's National Resource Centers. Visit their web sites for more information about the broader scope of their work and publications.
Center for Middle Eastern Studies
Center for Southeast Asia Studies
Institute of East Asian Studies
Institute of European Studies
Institute of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies
Institute for South Asia Studies